An endorsement by MEC is a declaration and affirmation of a Chaplain’s good standing with the American Muslim community and vouches for the disposition, character and competencies of the man or woman serving in the role of a Muslim Chaplain.
An applicant for MEC endorsement is required to meet 5 areas of religious and professional competency as follows:
1. Qur’anic Literacy – Applicants must demonstrate a working knowledge of the Qur’an.
2. Prophetic Theory and Praxis – Applicants must demonstrate familiarity with the entire biography of Prophet Muhammad, (Peace be upon him), and the applicability of his life example.
3. Cross Cultural Capability- Applicants must demonstrate the necessary interpersonal skills for working effectively with Muslims and people of other faiths from various cultural backgrounds, as well as with both males and females.
4. Facilitation Skills – Applicants should be able to demonstrate the consistent ability to counsel and “connect” with people in a sensitive, open, respectful way.
5. Professional Theory and Practice – Applicants should be able to promote and integrate chaplaincy as a professional discipline into the life of the institution where they function.
PERSONS WITH LONGEVITY IN THE FIELD OF CHAPLAINCY, CHAPLAIN CANDIDATES AND POTENTIAL SEMINARY GRADUATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR ENDORSEMENT.
In some cases, a candidate may be approved for endorsement based on a minimum of 10 years of longevity in the field of chaplaincy. In these situations, chaplains are often qualified for endorsement due to their careers in the field. In these cases, chaplains may request in writing to be endorsed based on work experience. The rationale for the waiver of each of the five competencies listed below must be explicitly stated. Such persons must submit all other documentation as required in this manual.
MEC also offers provisional endorsement for potential seminary graduates and chaplain candidates. A provisional endorsement is understood as a positive recognition of the student’s religious and academic scholarship, service to the community and potential for service as a Muslim chaplain based demonstrated spiritual, moral, and intellectual acumen. A provisional endorsement is valid for a period of time as determined by the MEC board and includes stipulations for seminary graduation, additional training, volunteer work or other requirements to maintain the provisional endorsement beyond that date or to change the provisional endorsement to full endorsement.
WE ENCOURAGE CHAPLAINS TO APPLY FOR ENDORSEMENT EARLIER IN THEIR VOCATION AND NOT WHEN ABOUT TO APPLY FOR A JOB. Applying for endorsement earlier rather than later will help to establish a relationship with MEC over some time. It is a benchmark requirement for an endorsing body to be well-acquainted with the chaplain before endorsement. Further, it will enable the chaplain’s personal and professional growth and development by recommending roadmaps and milestones and providing feedback.
The applicant is required to complete an online application for endorsement and submit the items below. An Endorsement Manual is also available for download.
The application for endorsement process will take the following steps:
The average length of the endorsement process from application to endorsement decision is about 30-45 days. This length depends on how long it takes for the applicant to complete the application and provide all required items
Note: Applicants may withdraw their applications at any time during the process. However, the $50.00 application fee is non-refundable.
a. MEC Endorsement Manual
b. Volunteer Reference and Certification Form (if applicable)
c. Notarized letter of accountability for ethical conduct (required)
d. Background Check Authorization/ Release of Liability (required)